Saturday, 22 November 2014

Improved Gluten Free Sandwich Bread Recipe.


From what I have been seeing over the past year, just like cars and technology, gluten free bread is being upgraded with new and improved recipes. Curious as I am to this and always fine tuning my own recipe, I embarked on a trial and error series of several recipes that I had drafted together. I gathered my research from recipes I had been studying that used ingredients I hadn't tried in gluten free bread baking. But after seeing such great and successful results I had to try these recipes out for myself.


The recipe I have settled with (for now) is adapted from Fork and Beans Gluten-Free Vegan Bread recipe. I followed the recipe near true to form with the change of flour blend and binders. I also adapted the method in making the bread. I was pleased with the results. The pictures say it all! Soft yet strong bendy bread with a golden crust, even crumb and great flavour!


So without further delay, here is my new and improved gluten free bread recipe.

Gluten Free Sandwich Bread


Wet Ingredients:
240 ml warm plant-based milk - soy, rice, oat milk etc
240 ml warm water
3 tbsp vegetable oil
2 tsp white vinegar
2 tbsp pysllium husk
1 tbsp chia seed
1 tbsp flaxseed

Dry ingredients:
420 g gluten free flour blend (see below)
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp sugar
1 sachet of instant dried yeast

Directions:
Grind psyllium husk, chia seeds and flaxseeds to a course powder in a coffee grinder.
In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients.
Whisk the milk, water, oil, vinegar, and ground binder mix until well-combined. Allow to sit for 2 minutes to coagulate.
Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix with a spoon until just combined. Spoon the dough into a 9x4x4 lined loaf pan. Dip your hand or spoon into water to smooth out the top and very gently press down to ensure the dough is distributed evenly and there are no gaps/holes.
Warm your microwave oven by heating a cup of water for 1 minute or until boiling. This provides a warm and moist environment for the dough to rise in.
Cover and seal the dough in a plastic bag and place in warmed microwave. Allow to rise until the dough has doubled in size, about an hour. Leave the microwave door slightly ajar so the light remains on, keeping a warm environment.
28/08/2016 *UPDATE: I have found that doing the microwave oven step not necessary. Just placing the dough into a plastic bag and putting somewhere warm like on top of the hot water cylinder or in a very low warmed oven just as effective. Remember though not too warm as this will result in dough to rise to quickly then collapse when placed in the oven.
Preheat oven to 190°C (350°F).
When dough has risen place in the oven on the middle rack and bake for 60 minutes, until bread is golden brown and sounds hollow when tapped. Remove from the oven and allow to cool briefly in the pan until you can remove it then transfer to a wire rack and leave to cool completely.
If the top of your loaf is looking quite brown before done, make a cover with foil and place over top.


Gluten Free Flour Blend 

(This makes enough for the bread recipe above)

Ingredients:
70 g each of:
millet flour
sorghum flour
buckwheat flour
glutinous rice flour
tapioca flour
potato starch

Directions:
Sift all of the ingredients into a large bowl.
Then using a large whisk, thoroughly mix together all the flours.

I make a large batch that way I have my own ready-to-use gluten free flour mix. Just triple the equal part measurements of each flour, e.g., 210 g each of millet flour, sorghum flour, buckwheat flour, glutinous rice flour, tapioca flour and potato starch.
See here for more New and Improved Flour Blend! 




2 comments:

  1. Thanks for this!
    I'm going to give this recipe a go.
    How much yeast in your little pkt? Is it 7gm?

    ReplyDelete